We've slipped away from distinguishing between who is sovereign and who is servant.
The primary and natural seat of government is the individual. Next is the family.
Legislators needs to ask certain questions before they foist laws upon the people:
1. Will this measure support or detract from personal liberty?
2. Will this measure support or detract from family sovereignty?
3. To what benefit? (Can any benefit support the erosion of family sovereignty?)
4. What is the real probability that ANY benefit will be realized?
5. What unintended consequences can be foreseen?
6. Who will be responsible for failures and at what cost?